Now accepting bitcoins.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Fading Receipts

The purpose of a receipt is to provide a customer with a record of purchase. It used to be that you could throw your receipts in a shoe box and look at them later when you needed to. However, many stores think that this record only needs to last a few weeks. They use crappy (cheap?) thermal paper receipts, which are quite useless. They fade and become unreadable very quickly.

Shouldn't it be fraud if a store requires a receipt for a return, but knowlingly provides a receipt that doesn't last the entire warranty period? I purchased a new battery for my car recently at Advance Auto Parts. It has a five year warranty. The sales representative actually suggested that I make a photocopy of the receipt because, "the receipt sure isn't going to last that long".

My favorite (*wink*) store, Best Buy, also has ridiculously pathetic receipts.

While I am at it, I am also getting fed up with receipt-checking at the exit and those long receipts filled with survey solicitations, coupons and other such nonesense.

1 comment:

shoshanamom said...

I like the coupons that print out with the reciept..ie at the supermarket or CVS, and I always check for them. they can be really good ones sometimes. shoprite will sometimes give $10 off ater you spend enough on baby items or I'll get a $3 off diaper coupon.

The receipt checker so far I have only encountered at Walmart and I just have it ready. I just take it as another social encounter.