Now accepting bitcoins.

Friday, February 27, 2009

The Evil Thieves of Subway Marketing

I think most people are familiar by now with the Subway "5 Dollar Foot-Long" campaign.  It has that annoying jingle that you will now be humming for the rest of the day (sorry).  The only problem with the offer is that it only applied to 5 or 6 of their less popular subs.

So I was excited to see the new limited-time offer of "5 Dollar ANY Foot-Long".  Here is the logo you see on TV and when you walk in the restaurant:


I went to Subway and ordered the Philly Steak and Cheese sub.  I was ready with my $5.25 when I arrived at the cashier.  It was then that she informed me that I owed exactly $8.49 for my $5 foot-long.  I pointed out the numerous signs in the store that said ANY foot-long sub for $5.  She said that the offer is "any sub except Philly Steak and Cheese".  Funny, I don't remember hearing that stipulation in the cute little jingle.

I'm sure there's some technicality that makes this advertising "legal", because they hid the word "regular" in the ad.  But clearly this marketing campaign is deceptive and morally wrong.  Therefore, to anyone reading this who believes in moral equivalence, I encourage you to take $3 worth of napkins the next time you go to Subway.  You might need them after you look at your receipt and throw up.

Hey Subway, I have a deal for you.  When I get to the cash register, I will give you ANY of the following bills ($10 bill excluded):


No comments: