Now accepting bitcoins.

Monday, October 13, 2014

This is What is Wrong with The U.S. Medical Care System

The thesis of this blog post is that the problem with the medical system is that it is impossible for consumers to make informed decisions when it comes to medical costs.  This is an honest-to-god conversation I just had with a durable medical equipment supplier.  I could tell you the name of the company, but I am sure you could have a similar conversation with almost any supplier.

Supplier:  Hello sir, I am calling to see if you would like us to send out the medical supplies that your insurance company allows you to refill.

Me:  Perhaps, how much do they cost?

Supplier:  Oh, don't worry, we will bill your insurance company.

Me:  I am sure that you will, but I would like to know how much they are going to cost.

Supplier:  I don't have that information. 

Me:  You are trying to sell me supplies and you don't know how much they cost?

Supplier:  I am not trying to sell you anything.  This is just a call to see if you want us to ship out the supplies.

Me:  Of course you are trying to sell me something. What do you mean that you aren't selling me anything>  You are planning to send a bill to my insurance company for purchase of your products.

Supplier:  Sir, perhaps you should call your insurance company to find out how much the supplies cost.

Me:  How will my insurance company be able to tell me what YOU intend to charge me for these supplies?  You can't even tell me that.  I want to make an informed decision before I make a purchase, not after I get the bill.  How can I compare your prices to other suppliers?
Am I naive in assuming that the real answer is that they will charge the maximum amount that my insurance company will cover?  

Supplier:  Oh, you can go on Google and see how much they cost.

Me:  That will tell me how much other people are charging for their product, not how much you are charging for your product.

Supplier:  Sir, do you want me to ship these supplies or not?

Me:  I don't think so.  Not without pricing information.

Supplier:  I have noted that on your account.  Thank you and have a wonderful evening.

  "I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called "mister," thank you very much."













No comments: