Now accepting bitcoins.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Case Sensitive Usernames

Every so often I come across a login that requires a case sensitive username. Most often I only discover what is going on after typing in my username and password 5 times and swearing that I know the password is correct. This practice should stop for the following reasons:

  • It is extremely annoying and confusing.

  • Most often you can't change your username, so you are stuck with the case you entered when you created the account

  • Usernames should be unique INDEPENDENT of case. What, are you going to allow two users, one named johnsmith and one named JohnSmith? Why on Earth would you do that?

  • I don't care what Unix/C++ does, fanboi.

  • The confusion created by case sensitive usernames outweighs the "added security". Let all the security be in the case sensitive password.

No comments: